Pages

Monday 4 August 2014

Two Religions ... One Message ... Peace

Dear Sehr,

I have become addicted to either writing a blogpost to you or sending you voice-notes through Whatsapp. I hope you enjoyed reading what I wrote about our friendship as part of Chintan bhai's 'Friendships Across Borders: Aao Dosti Karein' forum. I was extremely delighted when he asked me if I could contribute a piece about our friendship. I lapped it up for I didn't wish to lose a chance to tell you how special you have become in my life. Every word that was written sprang from my heart and I hope once we complete this Peace-building project, I would have much more to write about the special bond that has been created between the two of us. 

I was happy to know that you were busy with the festivities in Ramzan and yes, festivals do make us lazy. But they at the same time revive us with a spirit that is missing all throughout the year. I loved hearing what you had to say about Ramzan, why it is celebrated, its significance etc. In fact, sometimes I wonder why we are so ignorant about rituals and customs in the life of 'others'. We must make a conscious effort to venture beyond our own religion and customs, and try and find out more about the beliefs of others. This project has enabled me in a wonderful way to know more about your life, culture and festivals and I am glad that you have been responding and cooperating with me on this. 

I was happy to learn that Ramzan is considered as "Ibadat ka Mahina" (the month of worship), it is a guest that comes once an year, and the tradition of revering guests is so strong in both religions that we can often discover many commonalities. Despite having a number of Muslim friends, I actually never bothered to inquire about the religious and cultural significance of Ramzan in Islamic life, though I did savour kheer/sevaiyaan at my friend's place. I have always believed that whenever we celebrate festivals, it shouldn't be done for the sake of it. We have to strive to know the history and the significance behind these festivities, as therein lies a deeper and more meaningful message for humanity. Yes, festivals are definitely about enjoying, spending good time with family, gorging on delicacies and spending on new clothes ... but there is so much more to discover, so much more to know so that our celebrations become more meaningful. 


From you I learnt that Ramzan is the month of blessings and life changes completely during this month. All round the year, we may not be that devoted or may not immerse ourselves in religious activities, however during this month you are required to wake up early, keep fast, stay devoted. Life really is occupied. However, what struck me was when you told that Ramzan isn't only about keeping fast and it as a whole delivers the message of patience, tolerance, control and peace. It is not just about controlling one's desire for food, but the meaning goes much beyond ... during Ramzan one is not supposed to stay at a distance from only desires of food but other desires as well. It teaches control, humility and patience. It is about how you can distance yourself from worldly desires and be involved in "god consciousness" (this is the term that you used along with God's fear, however I prefer the other time since God is not someone we should fear ... he is someone whom we can confide in and can trust). In this month, you are also supposed to distance yourself from anger, hatred and be careful as to not hurt anybody. This is such a wonderful message that needs to be incorporated in peace-building. When we have our religions teaching us peace, why do we even need to look anywhere else? Why then are people using the pretext of religion and aiming swords at one another? Do we forget these messages once the holy months are over, returning to our nature of hatred and enmity? Any holy month, in any religion should lead us to the path of righteousness, to 'Ibadat' as you said, to being gracious for whatever God has given us. You also told me about "Zakaat" which essentially means charity/alms through which we realise the pain and suffering of others. We may be privileged, but there are others who are not. We should think about them as well. This is so similar to the Hindu concept of 'daan' i.e. charity ... in almost all festivals in Hindu religion, the concept of 'daan' has been emphasized. We have to give to others, not through a sense of superiority but through a feeling of sharing. 

In the same spirit of whatever you told me about Ramzan, I want to share with that we, in India are currently celebrating 'Shravan Maas' - month of Shravan ...which like Ramzan is considered to be a a holy month for the Hindus during which they keep fast, offer prayers and abstain from all sorts of worldly desires. The idea if the same ... to immerse oneself in worship. Shraavan is considered to be a very pious and auspicious month and it falls in July-August. It is after this month that majority of important festivals in the Hindu calendar are celebrated. Some of these are Rakshabandhan, Ganesh Chathurthi (worshiping lord Ganesh), Nag Panchami (worshiping the snake lord), Navaratri (the festival that celebrates Goddess Amba and is the festival of nine nights of dance!), and finally culminating into Dushhera and Diwali. Thus, you see that the Shravan marks the beginning of the festive season for Hindus. Usually, Lord Shiva is worshipped during this month and fast (upvaas) is kept in his honour, though for each day in the week there is a fast to be kept. I usually keep fast on Mondays and Tuesdays (Tuesday has a special significance for married women whereby they keep a fast in the honour of Devi Mangalagauri and pray for marital bliss). Throughout this month, we also exchange eatables with neighbours and make special kinds of foods for fasting (some examples are sabudana wada, sabudana khichadi, rajgira purees, rajgira sweet, recipes made of potato ...however all these should be made saltless). At times, I have felt that the importance of fasting has to be beyond religion, it is scientific since our body also requires rest from all the food and related items that we eat throughout the year. Fasting is essential and crucial to Hindu religion and there are many benefits to it. So, in the same way that you have 'Sehri' and 'Iftari', we also have a specific kind of food when breaking the fast ... of which sweets are must. This holy month teaches a similar message as Ramzan does ... that of peace, tolerance, devotion, worship, kindness and harmony. When you told me about Ramzan, I was totally mesmerized and could immediately connect with 'Shravan Maas', whereby we are adhering to almost a very similar message. The rituals, customs may be totally different but the underlying belief is the same - that of complete surrender to God. I never thought in this manner earlier, so I guess my peace-building instincts are leading me towards such a thinking. 

When you told me of dahi ballay, pakode, fruit chaat and other delicious items ... I remembered how I rush from the university to home waiting to break my fast, eager to know what delicacies await me. I do not know why people never talk about or remember the fact that all religions give us the same message, though the past towards attainment of the divine may be different. This month in BPP, we had great educative material on religion and while I am proud of my religious affiliations - I equally respect other religions and feel each should try and imbibe the best of the other. If this is what we keep in mind, peace shall be easier to achieve and our tasks in BPP will be meaningful. In fact, a few years ago I remember being member of an Islamic library in my city wherein I learnt a great deal about the fundamentals of Islam ... that doesn't make me any less Hindu, right?

I am also pleased to here about rains in Larkana and here also rains are providing the much needed respite from heat. I want to know more about the Lal Shabaz Kalandar shrine in Sewad and many more such religious places that attract Indians for worship. In fact, religion can be a great healer and both governments should strongly support people who wish to visit religious places on the other side. It can act as a unifying force. 

I am soon going to address your queries about Shiv Sena and India's stand on the conflict in Gaza. I just recently participated in a discussion on the same theme at India Post Live which is a web news portal. I had a great laugh as you shared that funny 'badaam cake' incident from your childhood! Ask me, how many times I have mistakenly broken my fast and have repented a lot. But, fasting depends on intentions and your father is right when he says that a fast must be done with good intentions and not with the aim of gaining something.

With that, I am waiting for Behaddd and Humsafar on Zindagi ... waiting to see Fawad Khan again. Also, seems Zindagi Gulzar Hai will be re-telecasted I guess, on popular demand. Can't wait to see Khoobsurat in a cinema hall. I love Fawad Khan ... Zindagi is very popular in India and there seems to be a craze surrounding it. Everybody is hooked to it. I am no different. Looing forward to watching what seems to be another promising drama .. Kahi Unkahi. 

Eid Mubarak and hope the month of Shravan brings for you happiness and prosperity.

Nidhi  


No comments:

Post a Comment